Days out at the Seaside: A How-to Guide plus a Trunki Competition
So summer is here at last – but this being a British summer, days out at the beach need a little forethought and preparation. With many of our family-friendly hotels being either coastal or within easy reach of great beaches, we've put our heads together to share our wisdom on making the most of a day by the shore, as well as partnering with family travel experts Trunki to offer one lucky winner three of their groundbreaking products.
• Water and sunblock are the two crucial items to take to the beach – even when the sun isn't beating down, you need to be protected and hydrated.
• UV beachwear can be a good idea in hot sunshine, as can a pop-up UV tent – especially if you have a baby or a toddler who will need to nap.
• On the other hand, be prepared for the weather to change suddenly – take sweaters and a waterproof jacket for everyone.
• Waterproof shoes such as Crocs or jellies can be a boon on beaches with pebbles or stones, for rock-pooling or for giving you peace of mind about stray sharp objects hidden on the sand.
• Waterproof your iPhone or camera with a specially designed plastic case or transparent envelope if you want to get some action shots in the sea.
• Bring some cash, including change. There's nothing more irritating than having to drive around in search of a cashpoint when you discover you need some money for the car park or for ice creams.
• Bring a cool box with lunch, snacks and drinks, to save money.
• Think safety – make sure your kids are aware of areas where swimming is not allowed, and if the beach is tidal, find out the tide times so as not to be caught out. Never let your kids play unattended in or on inflatables as they can easy drift or be blown out to sea.
• Let little ones take care of their own toys, snacks and other belongings with a PaddlePak. These fabulous lightweight, waterproof kids' backpacks come in a range of funky, hugely loveable animal designs, including Blow Fish, Lobster and Octopus. Handy for bringing home the inevitable seashell collection, they have loops so that you can easily hang them up in the car or at home.
One lucky reader stands to win a terrific Trunki trio of one Paddlepak, one Jellyfish Grab Bag designed for keeping toiletries together, and one Crab Purse with ingenious pincer clips so kids can attach it to their Paddlepak or belt.
To enter, please go to our Facebook page and post a picture of your favourite family day out at the seaside with the tags #seasidebliss and #Trunki. Our favourite posted by noon on Friday 4th July 2014 bags the goodies!