Days Out from Luxury Family Hotels: Westonbirt Arboretum
Just 20 miles from our Thornbury Castle and Woolley Grange hotels, Westonbirt, The National Arboretum in Gloucestershire is a brilliant family day out, with plenty to do amidst its 15,000 labelled trees (about 2,500 different types) from all over the world.
Our favourite things to do at Westonbirt:
• Take the new-in-2016 STIHL Treetop Walkway for stunning views across the arboretum and a glimpse of traditional woodland management (it ends in Silk Wood with its coppice workers and charcoal burning). Step-free and buggy-accessible, the walkway has interactive hotspots for learning more about trees, a crow’s-nest viewing platform, a rope bridge to swing across and a mesh-floored section to peer through.
• Follow a themed family trail. Dog-free or dog-friendly, they are dotted with natural play areas.
• Head for Exploratree, an under-5s play area with tree-themed activities.
• Join in a family event, held in the school holidays and including crafts and activities on nature topics.
• Get a group together and tackle one of Westonbirt’s three orienteering courses.
• Discover the site’s trees via the free Treequests app.
• Pick up a Woodland Play booklet, developed in partnership with the Woodland Trust and packed with ideas for outdoor activities with kids, to do here or elsewhere.
• Have a picnic in the Grade I registered Downs grassland area.
• Catch one of the world-class acts who will be performing in the open-air concerts here over the summer as part of Forest Live 2015.
Luxury Family Hotels is a big supporter of the benefits of outdoor play for kids. Our lovely grounds have plenty of things for children to discover and do, including seed-planting and exploring the new ‘witches garden' at Woolley Grange Hotel in Wiltshire.
Read more about family activities at Luxury Family Hotels.