Luxury Family Hotels People: Adam Swan, New Restaurant Manager at The Ickworth
As a true local, our new restaurant manager has a unique perspective on The Ickworth Hotel, our stunning Suffolk property. We asked him about his path to taking over the restaurant there and about his insider tips for those visiting the area.
• Hi Adam. Where did you grow up, where did you start your career and how did end up making your way to Suffolk?
I grew up in Horringer village, about 100 metres from the entrance to the Ickworth estate! I began working there from a very young age – in the West Wing for the catering firm Sodexho.
• What attracted you to working in the hospitality industry?
Although I've worked in restaurants across Suffolk and Cornwall, it was the Ickworth estate that ignited a passion for hospitality in me. In my eyes, it’s always been the ideal place to look after people.
• What does the Ickworth mean to you personally?
It's has always been a part of my life: I learnt to ride a bike on the muddy trails towards fairy lake, walked my dog around the obelisk route… Even my history GCSE was based on the property!
• What do you enjoy most about your current job?
Problem solving: I enjoy being given a set of challenges and a time-frame then getting the opportunity to come up with appropriate solutions.
• What do you have planned for the restaurant at the Ickworth since taking over as manager in March?
I’m focused on ensuring that it offers the level of natural hospitality for which Luxury Family Hotels are known, and on making sure that it maintains an identity and character worthy of this amazing estate.
• What are your favourite places in the region? And what do you like doing in your free time?
I love the sprawling villages that radiate from The Ickworth outwards: there are some very well hidden but wonderful eating establishments as you go further out into rural Suffolk. My free time is divided between any and all outdoor activities I can get my hands on – and endlessly reading!
Read more about food and drink at Luxury Family Hotels.