Seaside Shopping in Fowey
Shopping for those beach essentials near our Fowey Hall Hotel just became even more appealing with the opening of Gandys – the first store by the online fashion firm started by two young men who were orphaned in the Boxing Day tsunami in 2004.
Gandys’ stock includes towels, flip flops and backpacks and round towels, with 10% of profits going to their Gandys Foundation. This in turn runs the Orphans for Orphans project, which funds children's education, particularly in Sri Lanka.
Rob and Paul Forkan started the online shop and the charity four years ago. They were just 17 and 15 when the tsunami hit Sri Lanka, killing their parents Sandra and Kevin but sparing their younger siblings, Rosie, eight, and Matthew, 11.
Sandra and Kevin were passionate volunteers who had taken their children out of school to travel and do good works. On the 10th anniversary of the tsunami, the Gandy Foundation opened its first Kids Campus school in Sr Lanka using the store profits.
The family hope that the Fowey shop will help them achieve their aim of opening a second home for children by the end of 2016, as well as generally further the Foundation in its ambitions to bring education to children living in poverty.
Other great places to shop in Fowey:
• Any Old Lights, for reclaimed marine lighting and industrial lighting, plus maritime collectibles and a selection of stylish new lighting.
• Birdkids, for children's wear and gifts inspired by nature.
• Fowey Fudge, for prize-winning Cornish confectionery also including biscuits, clotted-cream ices and hand-crafted chocolates.
• Images from the Wild, for framed prints by award-winning wildlife photographer Ian McCarthy.
• The Webb Street Company, for chic design and crafts by local artisans.
Read more about things to see and do near Fowey Hall Hotel.