Tips for Travelling with Large Families – and our Solutions
The trend towards one-child families may have increased, yet around 14% of British families include three or more kids, according to the Office for National Statistics.
Having several children certainly doesn’t make life easy, logistically or financially, when it comes to family holidays and breaks, but we’ve put our heads together to offer our tips for getting some quality time together as a large family.
Our child-friendly Luxury Family Hotels also offer their own solutions for breaks with larger families, as we’ve detailed below. With the exception of The Lodge at Ickworth, all offer complimentary baby listening so parents can enjoy evenings in our guest lounges and dining rooms in the knowledge that our reception staff are keeping an ear out for little ones safely tucked up in bed.
Travel Tips for Larger Families
• Don’t be tempted to stint on accommodation by squeezing yourselves into a smaller unit than you really need – you’ll all be grouchy if you don’t get enough sleep. Having some separate space – for parents, and also for older kids – is highly advisable, since not everyone goes to bed at the same time. Interconnecting bedrooms are ideal, and an added sitting room or seating area is a bonus.
• Choose a hotel where breakfast is included in rates, as paying individually for seven or more people will add up fast. You might also consider a dinner, bed & breakfast rate for the same reasons.
• Look for somewhere with a complimentary baby listening service to save you money on babysitting fees.
• Avoid squabbles by allocating rooms in advance, and consider making a loose itinerary to stop arguments about what to do when.
• Investigate options with something for different ages – for instance, crèches for younger kids but also games rooms where older kids can go to hang out. Plenty of outdoor space is another big boon.
• Lastly, see our advice on making car journeys with kids as pain-free as possible.
Options for Larger families at our Properties:
• Woolley Grange Hotel, Wiltshire
Our fabulous Hayloft suite just to the rear of the main house (about 30 seconds’ walk from the back door) comprises a master bedroom, second bedroom with twin beds, vast living room and family bathroom, accommodating in total up to two adults, five children and an infant.
Alternatively, Balcony, one of our large family suites, can accommodate up to two adults and four children in a master bedroom and second twin-bedded room. Situated on the first floor, it’s very light, with lovely views from the master bedroom.
• Moonfleet Manor, Dorset
Our Coach Houses about 30 seconds from the main house each offer fantastic accommodation for up to two adults, four children and a baby, in an upstairs master bedroom with en-suite bathroom and twin room, and a second twin-bedded room, separate living room and family bathroom downstairs.
• The Ickworth Hotel, Suffolk
Larger accommodation at our East Anglian property is in The Lodge about half a mile from the main house and includes two-bedroom apartments, two-bedroom suites and a three-bedroom apartment, with some accommodation suitable for up to two adults and seven children.
The two-bedroom apartments offer a master bedroom, a second bedroom with either twin or bunk-beds (pictured), and a family bathroom. The two-bedroom suite is similar but adds a separate living room, while the three-bedroom apartment has a second twin-bedded room. The apartments and suites also have small kitchenettes and access to a washing machine and tumble dryer. Some of the accommodation also offers dishwasher and fridge facilities.
In the heart of the Ickworth estate, The Lodge is about 10 minutes from the main house on foot – or less if you use our complimentary bikes. Due to the distance, baby listening is not available, but babysitters are bookable through our crèche.