Winter Skincare for Kids: Top Tips and Products
We're all wised up to the need to protect our children's skin in summer, but what about winter? When temperatures drop, many kids get chapped or even inflamed skin, and the effects of the wind, cold and rain/snow on their young epidermis may be exacerbated by central heating when they come back in from the great outdoors. This goes double for children with particularly sensitive skin including conditions such as eczema or psoriasis.
The following are our top tips and products for looking after children's skin in wintertime and ensuring that they're safe and comfortable whatever they're up to, from winter walks and bike rides to ice-skating, tobogganing and snowball fights (see our blog on great outdoor winter games with kids).
• Choose your soap/body wash wisely, using a hypoallergenic, fragrance-free and/or dermatologist-recommended product. Try Neutrogena's Naturals Face & Body Bar, or Aveeno's Soothing Bath Treatment with its 100% pure natural colloidal oatmeal to create a milky bath that both cleanses and protects. Alternatively, Weleda's Calendula Baby Cream Bath combines almond and sesame oil, calendula flowers and blackthorn berries to moisturise while calming overstimulated babies and tots.
• Moisturise, moisturise and moisturise again. Again, Weleda comes up trumps with its Calendula Baby Weather Protection Cream, which will protect the whole family from the drying effect of winds and cold wet weather with its blend of beeswax, lanolin, almond oil, calendula and camomile flowers. It can also be applied to chapped lips.
• Protect little lips. All-natural, organic and vegan, Hurraw Lip Balm isn't specifically for kids but comes in an array of sublime flavours that will ensure they remember to keep applying it – try vanilla bean, lemon, root beer or countless others. Most importantly, the balm is raw, so its essential nutrients continue to nourish. Alternatively, double-up on those very sensitive zones with Cool Kids’ Lip & Cheek Protector.
• Don't forget about the scalp. Using a hair conditioner won't only keep hair soft and silky – it will protect the skin of the scalp. The Organix range, while again not specifically for kids, is super-moisturising, with different ranges containing natural mega-hydrators including Moroccan argan oil, Brazilian keratin, coconut milk, shea butter, macadamia oil and avocado.
• Find a brilliant all-purpose product and don't even leave the house in winter without it. Our go-to product is Lucas' Paw Paw Ointment from Australia, which heals sore noses, prevents chapped lips and generally protects skin from the effects of the cold and damp, including nappy rash.
• Protect those with colds and the sniffles by applying, to the chest/back and around the nostrils, a 100% natural vapour rub such as Little Green Radicals', containing aromatic oils of rosemary and eucalyptus to keep kids breathing easily.